Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Danger Zone: Keyword Research


Since we are all in the midst of beginning our marketing plans for class, I thought it would be nice to highlight some of the things that I have learned about keyword research. Don't kid yourself, keyword research sucks. But choosing the right keywords is crucial to planning an effective online campaign. Keywords are at the heart of your campaign, whether you are focusing on organic search results, PPC advertising, or on-page web copy.

The first step of the keyword research process is brainstorming. Think about your products from the point of view of your clients. What phrases are they using to search for your goods? Include alternate spellings, word placements, and synonyms. Surveying clients and potential customers is a great way to expand your keyword list and reach potential long-tail terms.

Once you have a healthy list of keywords that you might want to target, turn to online keyword research tools to flush out the data on each word or phrase. I like the Google Traffic Estimator or Google's Search-Based Keyword Tool. Data produced by either of these tools can be exported to Excel and manipulated there. Your goal is to find keywords with high relevancy and low competition.

Targeting keywords that are less competitive increases your chances of ranking highly for the terms, and you will spend less money on PPC advertising spots. Not to mention that some of the less popular keyword phrases, the long-tail phrases, bring in people who are more likely to purchase, thus increasing your chance at conversion.

Keyword research is not set in stone and you have to commit to tweaking your keywords, messages, and copy, to attain maximum results. I did a heap of research on promo products that I've tried to decipher. I used the information to create categories, title page tags, meta-data, and on-page copy. It hasn't been tested yet, and to be honest, I'm pretty apprehensive about the possible results. Anyway, let me know if you need any help, or have any questions. I'm still learning myself, and love to gab about all things search and social.

Talk to me Goose!!

No comments:

Post a Comment