Sunday, February 14, 2010

What's All the Buzz About?

This week Google launched Google Buzz, a social feature embedded in Gmail, and they caused quite a BUZZ. At the heart of most Buzz-related reports this week was privacy. Online privacy is a big deal for a lot of people, and rightfully so, but I was kind of bummed that Buzz was overshadowed by the privacy issues. I suppose Google could have done some more testing before launching it, and then maybe we would have had a more positive build-up before release.

I messed around with Buzz and it seems pretty darn cool. My main email account is through Gmail, so Buzz is only a click away. I actually liked that it did all of the work of finding my top friends and auto-connecting us. Because my Google profile is fairly up to date, Buzz knew about some of my other online info, and suggested that I share my blogs on Buzz. This way my friends will be able to see my blogs all in one spot too. Simple and easy, though this means I won't get the clicks to my blog unless I set my blog up where you have to click through to get the rest of the post. We talked about that in class, I just haven't done it yet. Other stuff to share includes Flickr, Picasa, Google Reader, and Twitter feeds.

So what about online privacy? Who cares if people see what you share in Google Reader, or who you are following in Buzz? Well, maybe you don't want your boyfriend's mother to know that you shared that interesting article on top sex toys of 2009 with your friends, and maybe your online stalker would be thrilled to see all of the Flickr photos from last summer that you posted under a user name they didn't know about. Instead of whining about how Google has violated privacy rights, why not just change the permissions? It wasn't that hard to do. I'm probably being insensitive to those sneaky online types with things to hide though, because I've only got a couple of friends using Google and I'm not sneaking around or hiding from anyone. Sorry if you are, and if Google got you into any trouble. Actually, I'd use Facebook a lot more if i wasn't sharing with a bunch of people from high school that I don't even like. Buzz is my way around that issue. And, as if we needed further proof that Google is totally on top of it, they've already changed the auto-follow function and increased the visibility of privacy options.

So, the question really is, will Google's Buzz have any impact on online marketing? Will Buzz be a Facebook killer? I wish, but I doubt it. I think the vast majority of people on Facebook are still using AOL email accounts, and it's highly unlikely that they will be able to figure out Buzz. I mean, it is buried in Gmail, which offers all sorts of nifty tools. Google's tools might be overwhelming. I know they are, because I was trying to show my mother how to use Google Reader and she was confused. Buzz doesn't have the ease and simplicity of stand alone platforms like Twitter. Also, it's strictly a Google tool, so you have to have a gmail account, and check it frequently.

Samsung USA was the first brand to jump on the Buzz bandwagon, and good for them. Their early posts are tests, and they've shared some YouTube videos and stuff relating to mobile. I'm following TechCrunch and Tamar Weinberg, the author of the marketing book I chose for class. I wish there was an easier way to find people to follow. I'm thinking that before long we'll see something similar to Twitter lists. All in all, I can't wait to see how Buzz develops.

Have you used Buzz yet? What do you think about its usefulness?

UPDATE: This Mashable article Google Buzz Has Completely Changed the Game: Here's How is too good not to mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment